I had a wonderful weekend. I took our youngest to the cottage with two of her friends. . . that's correct. . . I had three 13 year olds for the weekend and I enjoyed every single minute of it too!! We had a blast. I find this age the absolute best. They are mini adults, but too young for boys and too old for toys. One minute they are putting on make-up and doing their hair and the next minute they are watching cartoons and a Barbie movie on TV. I can't believe how much they eat. I asked the girls where they put all this food and they replied "On our butt and around the corner." I'll have to remember that line. . . so I guess I'm putting my food on my butt, around the corner, around the block (a couple of times) and back again???!!???
Anyways, the girls were very upset on our drive home. . . . You see, it's fall and the beginning of "Deer Hunting Season" in Michigan. It's a very big thing up north. . . even the schools close down for opening day so everyone can go out into the field. I believe we are in bow season now. On the drive home we saw so many deer that were laid out across vehicles like a trophy displayed. Some of the deer had their tongues hanging out. . . some had their heads and antlers chopped off and all had been gutted. I wish the hunters would cover the deer. Everyone is not as thrilled to look at dead deer as they are. It's upsetting to some people and children. The girls were sickened by the sight. Please understand, I'm not against hunting at all. Actually, I think it's fine, humane really since we have too many deer in Michigan. The deer run out onto the roads and cause traffic accidents and deaths. . . and there are so many that they would starve to death anyways if not thinned out by hunters . . it's just yucky to see them all gutted and thrown across vehicles like tarps. I don't know . . . maybe there is a reason they can't be covered. . . like rot or something. Well, we made it home without anyone throwing up in the car as they all claimed they were going to do. Thank you Jesus!!
. . . So now, I must tell you my "Deer" story. You see we have this little cottage up north that we built ourselves 8 years ago and love very much. Well, the name of our street is "Whitetail", like in Whitetail Deer. So, I wanted a Whitetail Deer head, rack, or whatever you call them for the wall. . . . I just thought it was fitting for the cottage/cabin and location/decor. My husband is not a hunter; he just doesn't have the time, or the desire. He always told me he would go hunting next year when he had more time, then it was the next year and so on and so on. Never happened. He loves fishing. Fishing is his passion his relaxation. So a few years ago I got myself a deer on Ebay. Yup, the things you can get on Ebay these days is amazing. Of course, I did have many, many girlfriends who said they would have LOVED to give me their husband's deer and get it off their wall. I paid around $85 or so. I don't remember the exact amount. Now, when we have guests at the cottage and they say, "Wow, who got the deer?" I smile and can honestly, truthfully and sincerely say "I did!"
The cost of the deer? $85. The cost of having to go into the woods to hunt for one? $0. The cost of having a great White -"tale" Deer story?". . . priceless!!!
Blessings!



1 comment:
Hehehe Love your Deer story!! Sounds like you had a blast with the girls too!
Pattie
Post a Comment