Friday, September 28, 2007

. . . While the Paint Dries

Nothing like waiting for paint to dry. . .

While I'm waiting between coats of paint for my secretary project. . . I decided to finish up a garage sale find.

I found this unfinished topiary (in a very plain planter) at a garage sale for $1. I found the planter to the left of the topiary (2nd picture) at a thrift store for $1.50, I bought the greenery for $.05 a spray at a wholesale flower store - $2 for greens. Total price for this project $4.50. The topiary was a Styrofoam ball covered with Spanish Moss. I took a pumpkin carver (you know. . . the kind we give the kids to carve pumpkin, but not hurt themselves - well they work perfect for cutting Styrofoam too and for this project.) I carved into the ball, trimmed the greenery sprays with wire cutters, applied hot glue to secure the greenery sprays into the Styrofoam and there ya go. It must have been my lucky day because the topiary, in its original planter, fit perfectly into the new planter . Like it was supposed to be like this. I think it turned out great. What do you think?


Blessings,

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Greetings from a fellow Michiganian! Just found your blog and I've got to say that I'm enjoying it very much!

Your topiary turned out just lovely and I'm excited to see how your secretary project turns out :) My grandmother had one very similar. I think one of my aunts inherited it after she passed away...

Enjoy your weekend!

kari and kijsa said...

You are truly creative! This will make a wonderful Fall decoration. We will be checking out to see more of your projects.

blessings,

kari and kijsa