Saturday, August 4, 2007

Estate Sales are Excellent!!




Last weekend while at the cottage with my hubby - - I found an Estate Sale. I even got my hubby to join me!! Husband and I got up early on Saturday, drove to a nearby little town and found the most wonderful Estate Sale I had read about. Items were displayed from the early 1900's. The owner of the house at one time owned a general store in town. All of the original store records, wooden counters, display cabinets, etc. were for sale. The household was filled with vintage finds. Of course, as the saying goes, "one person's junk is another person's treasures!!" My husband kept asking me "Why do you want that?" "What is that?" "What are you going to do with that?" But, he was a good sport and let me keep looking (and buying).

I think I have such a fascination to antiques and vintage things because my grandparents had so many children (13 dad's family, 7 mom's family) that nothing was left to pass down my way. Of course, there was that one greedy aunt . . . well, we won't go into that!!! I see things that remind me of visits to the grandparents when I was a small child and these things bring me joy and comfort.

Here's some of my wonderful finds for the day. Did I mention everything was 1/2 off on Saturday because the sale started on Friday? Well, everything was 1/2 off!!

I got the copper (yes, copper - it's a fortune these days) trough (with a cover), vintage silhouettes of the woman who lived in the house (dated 1940). I purchased a vintage needlepoint, hats, linens, crochet collar, an old iron (dated 1904), thread spool holder, crumb collector (I think this is called a "dumb waiter" - they were used to brush the table of crumbs before dessert was to be served), an old enamel bucket, sauce pan and an old brush from Fuller Brush Company (remember the Fuller Brush man who would come door to door? I remember my grandmother loving those visits.) Anyways - my collection was a mere $48!!! I think that it was a pretty good day. These antiques will look great in my cottage. Some items I may keep, some I may resell on E-bay.

Estate Sales. . . the thrill of the hunt!!!!

Blessings until next time!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. I love thrifting and estate sales too. Good finds Lady!!

Anonymous said...

You should try reselling some of these finds!

Mecky said...

Oh My, what a steal!!! I don't think I have ever seen a copper boiler going for under 90.00. You did excellant!!
I LOVE vintage finds!!

linda t said...

Oh YES!! It's all about 'the thrill of the hunt'!
You got some great stuff! I love thrifting... especially estate sales... although most of them are high priced... but 1/2 off day! How cool!
My hubby and I are going back to WI in Oct... hoping for some thrifting, auctions, estate sales...