My Hubby's Alaska Fishing Trip Story (true story)
Ever try to SAVE a buck, only to COST you MORE? Well, that's what happened to my husband this past week.
Every year my husband takes a fishing trip into Alaska with his buddies. He loves fishing, always has and always will. I do not share his passion for fishing. . . at. . .all! He finds it extremely relaxing and since he has a very, very highly stressful job -- I encourage him to go with his buds annually into Alaska for Salmon and Halibut fishing. They river fish for Salmon and then charter a boat out into the ocean (like 5 hours out into the ocean) and fish, fish and fish for Halibut!! It's exhausting and wonderful he says. . . all. . .at. . . the. . .same. . . time. Apparently, Halibut live 250 feet down in the ocean so you have to fish deep. It's a workout pulling those buggers up.
All those fish you see hanging in the top photo are from their charter trip. If anyone is interested the name of the charter is "Puffin." Each year they have tried a different charter, but from now on will be sticking with "Puffin." My husband raved about the captain and how he went above and beyond what the other boat charters do.
All six guys evenly divide up the "catch" and have it processed, packaged (dry ice) and shipped home. That's what they always have done. BUT, this year, the plans changed a bit. My husband found out how much shipping has increased. . . so it would have been $127 dollars to Fed Ex that fish home (with a two day delivery). So, he devised a plan. He was not coming home, but going right to a customer's location. But his plane was flying into Detroit first, then flying into his destination. He came up with the brilliant idea to check in his package, er fish I mean. I would meet him at the airport baggage pick-up, take delivery of his package, er fish, and I'd be on my merry way and so would he. EXCEPT. . . Northwest Airlines goofed and shipped the package to his final destination city. . . even though he clearly instructed them otherwise.
So, here he is now with his package, er I mean fish. He had to take a cab to the Fed Ex location, Fed Ex the fish home after all (overnight now!!). Total $152.71 and $40 for a taxi to go to and from the FedEx location and then onto the work location. Now, $192.71 in the hole!!
Next year, I hope he just ships it from Alaska to begin with~!!
Blessings. . . until next time,



4 comments:
Looks like a fun trip!
I think this has happened to all of us. I'm guessins next yr. he will ship from Alaska.
Hope you have a great day!
Blessins',Lib
Hi, Sher! How are you? As usual, it's busy around here. What a neat trip for your hubby & I had to laugh at the fish story. Oh man, what a disaster & costing you $$. Glad he got the fish home though, that would have been worse, to have it lost or something.
On the antique furniture, I really don't have a problem with them smelly musty. It seems once they air out, they are fine. I don't notice any smells in this piece at all. I vacummed it out really good & went over it with my good orange oil polish. I've really never had a problem with the musty smell thing.
Thanks for coming by!
Rhoda
wow im so hot I would have loved to be on that trip,but I bet NO women allowed huh?
Thanks, again for the goodies. Kaytlynn got so many comments on her shirt. The baby is heading home and he has his burp clothe with him =).
Our fairly new newlyweds, just returned from an Alaskan Cruise in June. They fished and shipped fish home. Their story isn't nearly as interesting as yours. Loved this post!
Have a great weekend, Sher.
Pat
Post a Comment