Corn, Corn and more Corn!!! (or another little "project")
I blanched and froze 14 1/2 dozen corn!! I cut it off of the cob and then froze it. Oh, my, GOSH is it delish or what? I think I'm going to go back and get some more to put up too. There is a little road side stand, not too far from my house with the most delicious Michigan grown corn ever. It is fresh picked daily and placed at their stand for sale. And, if you get there early the next morning you can buy a case of the corn picked the prior day for $6 ~ that's about 7 dozen ears of corn!! For $12 I put up a lot of corn. But. . .I don't think it was enough the way my family is eating it up already.
Do you freeze or can anything special? If so, what do you all put up for winter~time eating? Just curious :)
I think nothing beats the taste of fresh veggies in the dead of winter!! Yum~Yum!!
Blessings. . . until next time,



11 comments:
Gosh, I don't even know what the dead of winter is! I haven't heard
the expression "put up" for ages!
What memories.
M ^..^
Hi Sher...you have been one busy lady with all that shuckin' goin' on...LOL! If my husband could, he'd be right there helping you...He tells of summers at his farmer sister's house of putting up corn and "burping" the bags of air...he'd put his up to his shoulder like it was a baby...Haha
Nothing like FRESH corn anytime-yum! ;-) Bo
Oh my gosh that is such beautiful corn. Love the mixed colors.
When I was home we always put up purple hull peas,green beans,corn on the cob and cut off also. Made jelly and canned figs,pears and peaches. The sad thing in Mississippi is I can't find anything like this for sale. I hate it so much. All they sale here in big amounts is yams. I always by a box for the winter.
Sher....
I'm pretty sure our plentiful (and economical) corn season is over! But, when it's here....oh my do we enjoy it! I make a few seasoned butters to put on the table...a few of our favs are chili-lime butter (I use William Sonoma chili-lime rub), garlic-basil-parmesean (I use the jarred minced garlic, a little fresh basil and a handful of parm cheese...but...in the winter when basil is not as plentiful I make this butter with a scoop of good quality jarred pesto) and honey-lemon butter (just use some honey, lemon juice and lemon zest). OOOH....you're making me hungry!
Happy Friday!
Judi
All that corn looks soooo good! How tasty it will be in the "dead of winter"! ::Jill
Hi Sher,
You are one busy Lady!
I can, freeze, or dry most of our food.
I still have pears, apples, pumpkins to go and I think I will be finished putting up food for this yr.
Have a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib
Sher,
Wow, that corn looks delish. Here in GA corn season is long over. I did freeze just a little bit of corn and we picked and froze strawberries. I also made Strawberry freezer jam. My kiddos love it.
Let me know if you make the Cinnamon Crackle Cookies and what you think. They are so yummy. I make them almost every year for our Christmas Cookie Swap too.
I am so glad my corn is all canned!
We did 126 pints {probably not enough}
I have tomatoes, apple sauce and apple butter left to do!
Canning is so much work but so rewarding!
Have a great weekend Sher,
Hugz, Dolly
Hi Sher, The corn will taste so good this winter. I just froze some. You really got a good deal on the price. My daughter does a lot of canning. I especially love her beets. They're wonderful for pickled eggs. Your cloche is very nice.
Sweetie
Sher, That corn looks great. I freeze the two billion green beans that we grow in the garden, along with the tomatoes. I blanch, remove the skins and freeze them. They are great in sauces and stews. Susan
This looks so good!! The corn in our area was downright terrible this year and I miss it so much. I managed to can some tomatoes, spagetti sauce, apple butter, plum jam, and peach jam. Also squeezed out a bit of rhubarb preserves too. Nothing like fresh products in the long winter months!
Post a Comment