A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning hubby and I had some errands to run. Of course, I'm always on the "look out" for a yard sale while in transit. Just so happened ~ I stumbled upon one and had hubby stop for me. My hubby does not share my garage ~ yard sale fascination. . .at all, but he is accommodating to me. I walked into this sale and was told everything was 1/2 off!! My eyes feel upon this adorable, antique gossip bench. It was in need of some TLC, painting and a little new fabric for the cushion, but nothing I haven't done before. It was marked $10, so it was $5!! I grabbed it up!! What do you think of it now that it's all cleaned, painted and presentable???!!!!????
For those of you who are too young to know why these were named "gossip benches" ~ it was because the phone sat on the top of the table and there is a shelf underneath the table top for the phone book storage and perhaps a pad of paper and a pencil. Phones were hardwired to the wall so you couldn't walk around like we can do today. And people talked (gossiped) and sat while on the phone.
I love my new little conversation piece ~ and it fits perfectly in this little corner of the catwalk!!
Blessings. . . until next time,


20 comments:
What a darling little piece! I've always loved gossip benches. We had one when I was a little girl. Yours is perfect for your spot - and what a deal! Thanks for sharing it with us. ~Adrienne~
I imagine they had a chair attached to the bench, so that some ladies could get comfortable as the listened into the "party lines!" LOL! I've heard that some women in the neighborhood was listen in on everyone's conversations all day long! LOL! Your bench is so pretty and I love it painted black! ...and what a bargain! You did very well! :) ~Rhonda
What a find...well, now that you redid everything. We had one of those when I was a teen...not nearly that pretty though...Yours looks like it has a harp-shaped back on it...Extra nice! ;-) Bo
Hi Sher,
How pretty! You did a great job.
I love how you described what it was.lol but sure made me feel old.lol I do remember those.
I'm Blessed I have Dh hooked on yard sales, Junk stores, antiquing:o)
Have a great wk.end!
Blessins', Lib
What a wonderful bench! The price is amazing, too, and of course, it's painted my new favorite color which makes it even better. It looks wonderful in your home.
Girl that is beautiful. That was the bargain of the year!
A few now are offering no shipping. I think the first one I showed was having a no shipping special. I like you just have to keep a look out.
Hi Sher!
Oh my goodness that gossip table looks great! A great find and price too. You made it look soooo good too. I wish you had posted a pic of it before you did the work on it. Darn it too because I saw one similar this summer and I passed it by...oh my...it really is nice!
Enjoy this day.
Judi
What a great find! My great aunt had one in her all. Your TLC work is perfect.
Thanks for visiting my blog.
Cathy
Oh, love your "gossip bench." Great makeover. The price was great too.
I remember my Papa having one at his house. We loved to sit there and play. Seeing yours brought back some sweet memories, long forgotten.
Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. I'm blown away that you got that bench for $5! What a deal! I paid $25 for the one that I redid a few months ago. And I thought that was a pretty good deal.
Yours looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
I love that! What a great deal! Back then you had to "dial" the phone too! Remember that? My daughter found a dial phone and she thought it was the coolest thing!
Excellent find Sher! You made it look fabulous and sort of contemporary in an antiquish way. Happy October. Susan
I love this bench, and what a steal! I still remember (just very vaguely!) party lines. :)
xo Lidy
What a great piece! You made it look wonderful. The "gossip" bit made me think of party lines - remember them? When I was a little girl I was caught listening in on a neighbors conversation - she just happened to be talking to someone when I lifted the receiver so I listened. Then I laughed at something and the lady indignantly told my mom on me.
Sher....
For an "old girl", you sure do good work! Thanks for your empathetic comment. I have a feeling the best is yet to come (fingers crossed!)
Take it from me....49...it's a cinch!
Judi
Thanks for your kind words. You are truly a special friend and I appreciate you so much!
Brenda
Oh that is lovely! I have one too, have not done anything to it yet. I have the fabric ( I think the pic is on my blog) but I don't think I will paint it. It is a nice wood color right now:)
$5 for that! That's amazing! I love what you've done with it - very cute!
Manuela
This phone bench is wonderful!! What a deal you got! laurie
Post a Comment