Do you make a big dinner on Sundays or do you go out to dinner?
We have always gone to church on Sunday as a family and then out to dinner. Well, I'm tired of paying all that money each week for dinner. . . and it certainly does not help our waistlines either. It's hard to control how the restaurants cook our food (fats, oils, calories, etc.) and the restaurants give us wwwaaayyy larger portion sizes than anyone really needs.
But my family is hungry and ready to eat after church. They don't really like to wait while I'm cooking dinner. So, I've solved this problem. I place a roast in the slow-cooker (a frozen roast) the night before ~ sprinkled with Steak Seasoning. . .and cook it on low all night long, I've also dug out my bread machine. You all have one of those stored away somewhere now don't you?!? 
I found this wonderful bread machine recipe book this summer at a garage sale for a couple of dollars. Simple, easy, bread recipes. Yeah, it was stored away with my bread maker. . . waiting to be touched and have those wonderful recipes tried. I now wake up on Sunday mornings, get the bread going, get ready for church and by the time we get home. . . it's all ready!! Today we arrived home with 6 minutes to spare before the bread was done!!
Today we had Egg Bread. Yummy, yummy. A few weeks ago we had Cheese Bread. Double Yummy. The house smells wonderful when we arrive home from church between the roast and the homemade bread baking. I peel potatoes and get them boiling, one of our daughters will set the table, and my husband will cut the roast.
I found this wonderful West Bend Bread Slicer at the Thrift store a few years ago and it makes slicing bread so easy with the guides. I use an electric knife to slice the bread.
We now have so much more family time on Sundays. We're not driving to the restaurant, waiting in line and waiting for our food. And best of all, we have those yummy leftovers and more money in our wallet too!
Blessings. . . until next time,


11 comments:
Oooh, great idea to actually FIND a bread recipe:) I have one downstairs and can never find the mixes anymore.
We usually go out one week and then eat at home the next, etc. I use my crock pot a lot too. You're right, it's so nice to walk in the house and smell something yummy cooking. I either do a beef roast or a turkey breast or a pork roast. I haven't thought to use my bread maker though. I used to love the smell of bread baking and there's just nothing better than fresh hot bread and butter. Hmmmmm...I'm gonna go now and pull my bread maker out. Thanks for the reminder. Can you e-mail me a few recipes when you get a chance. I know it's a busy time of the year, so no hurry.
Merry Christmas
Hugs!
Kat
We almost ALWAYS eat at home after church. Tom had told me before we got married that I could cook all week long if I wanted to...but on Sunday he would take me out to eat. Well...we did that a few times and I didn't really like it!!! LOL!!!
I love to cook...so we began eating at home. Lots of times I'll put something in the crock-pot or plan a quick-to-make dinner.
As far as a bread machine...I have NEVER owned one and don't want one. I love making my own bread...hand made!!!
Hi Sher, I don't have a bread machine anymore...gave it away..:( We always eat out on Sundays and a lot of other days too...it's so hard to plan to cook with the boys in school and working all at different times!!! I don't like for it to be this way, but that is the way it is for now!~ Blessings, Nancy
Hi Sher...With all that time saved from eating out you can post twice on the same day...heehee! I never got on the bread making bandwagon..
don't know why...I love the smell of bread baking... ;-) Bo
Hey Sher.....
Yes, eating at home is a win-win for everyone except for the cook if it's too complex or too time consuming!
We're big on the family Sunday dinner thing so Sundays have always been reserved for big dinners. But, I'm always running out of ideas. Thanks for the roast recipe...I never used the steak seasoning on it! My dad and my son love the meat&potatoes meals! Hubby and I grew up in Italian families so pasta & meatballs were always the order of the day. But, with my Lapband, pasta is pretty much a no-no (although I adore it!). For the past year, I have relied heavily on my roaster. And, yes, I adore the smells in the house of something cooking in that roaster! Plus, I've done a bit more crockpotting too. Lots of recipes to be had!
But...don't mention homemade bread to my family (I never unpacked my breadmaker from it's box...from about 15 years ago!). They'll have me making bread 24/7!!!
Now that you're saving all that $$ and not eating up all those calories....image the bathing suit you'll buy for that new look this summer! Necessity...the mother of invention!
Can't wait to see your house decorated! Mine is halfway there...!
Judi
P.S. Thanks for keeping up with my blog and for your kind and supportive comments!
Sher, yummmmmy! I don't have a bread machine and that's a good thing. I love bread! We usually eat out after church once or twice a month. I love cooking in our crockpot too. Most of the time, we will have a lite lunch if we eat at home and I will prepare a good size meal for dinner.
Cathy
It is funny that you should post about eating at home after church. We have been eating out every Sunday for a very long time. Just yesterday we decided that we were tired of it and came home to eat. We had spaghetti and garlic bread. It was already made before I went to church.
Sometimes when the season gets so busy, it is good to stay home just to be together in some quietness.
Hi Sher,
We always eat at home after church , we started this yrs. ago ,my side of the Family cooks and we have pot luck or I do alot of crockpot cooking. I Love Sun.afternoon Family time:o) It use to be at my Grandparents, after they passed, my Moms ,now here.
Have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib
We enjoy our family table talk and saving money is major goal now days. I think more and more families are going to start doing the same, glad ya'll decided to eat at home.
Good idea! I do this on Saturdays as that the day we're always out and about. We either have crockpot or we have soup I made the day before. You should try that Artisan bread book I mention on my blog a while back. Such great bread - crispy crust and soft insides!
Manuela
Post a Comment