Sunday, February 1, 2009

Adding a Monogram to a Plate/Platter


It's so simple!! (But first, what about those Steelers???? Yeah!!!)

Monograms are so "IN" right now. Monogram towels, pillowcases, blankets, purses, diaper bags, coffee mugs ~ you name it, it's monogrammed!

Here's my "cheap" way to monogram a display plate. I went to T.J. Maxx and found this wonderful white small platter for $7.99. I could have probably purchased one cheaper at a thrift store, but I really like the border on this plate.



I purchased some enamel glass and ceramic paint from Michael's with my 50% off coupon (Michael's gives you a 50% off coupon at the register now with each purchase. The coupon is valid for the following week. Must be Michael's way to get us into the store to purchase more items. Well, it works for me ;) ~ I'm there every week! I then found a lovely monogram font in Word that I wanted to use. I played around with the font and finally settled on a 250 font size. I printed it out, found two paint brushes in my stash and a piece of carbon paper. All I did was center my monogram on the plate, place the carbon paper underneath it and traced around the outside of the letter. I then carefully filled in the "M" with paint. I followed the directions on the paint label. . . let air dry for 1 hour, then place in a cold oven, turn oven to 350 degrees, let "bake" for one hour, turn off oven and leave the piece in the oven to cool down.

I'm telling ya folks. . . it was that easy!! Give it a try!

Blessings. . .until next time,


14 comments:

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That platter looks fabulous! I'll have to try that! If you ever need a monogrammed rug...I'm your gal!

Gone said...

How beautiful, Sher!!! Great idea! I love those TJ Maxx dishes and have some myself!!

~Blessings,
Jan

Cathy said...

Sher, Love it! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Sher, what a great idea. I am totally going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip.

Charm and Grace said...

Wow, now that does sound pretty easy. Thanks for giving us such detailed directions. Where would we be without those Michaels and Hobby Lobby coupons??? I appreciated your comment so much on the post about my grandfather. I have been away in the Sunshine State -- yes, highs in the low 80s and no, not for the Super Bowl -- this past week and am doing some real catching up on my blog rounds.

Blessings,
Christi

Judi said...

Yeah....how about those Steelers?
Wow, I love the monogram plate! A few years back, I did 24 monogrammed dessert plates I found at a thrift store to use at a shower I was having. They then became part of my gift to the bride. {The bride was using monograms as a theme (on the invites, the cake topper, etc).} The process I used was much more complicated & time consuming than the one you did! Oh, live and learn....! I was soooo young then....
But,the good thing about those plates is that the bride uses them as part of a display in her glass-front kitchen cabinets. Every time I see them, I always wish I made some for myself. Yeah, I'm so envious!!!
So....your method may encourage that to happen. Add one more thing to my list....!
Judi

Bo said...

Sher...your creative gene has been on a rampage lately...LOL...I may nickname you Martha soon...this looks so classy! ;-) Bo

PAT said...

I love it! Very pretty and creative!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Sher, I might just give it a try...I love monogramms! Oh, I want to thank you for entering my 100th post giveaway! Good luck!
Love your blog, Sher! You always inspire me! Blessings Nancy

Robin said...

this looks wonderful! I don't trust my shakey hand enough to do this!
I'm collecting white plates not to hang above my bed..will have to look at TJ Max!
Thanks for visiting me today!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

hey Sher,
Just wanted to let you know I made that pizza dough on sunday. I didn't have beer and our stores don't sell alcohol on sundays so I just used water and it turned out delish! Daughter's asked me to make it again! Thanks for the recipe!

Michelle said...

You did such a lovely job, Sher...very pretty!

Hope you're enjoying a great week!

Hugs,
Michelle

Christina said...

This is just fabulous!! I'm so glad you shared this. I will have to put this on my list of things to do.

I love the detail on the edge of the plate too.

Miss Janice said...

That's so cute! I'll have to try that since I'm addicted to anything monogrammed:-)