Thursday, October 4, 2007

Another. . . "Waiting for the Paint to Dry" Project



As you know, I've been working on my "secretary project" for a bit now. After I apply a coat of paint - I have some time to kill. So, I started thinking about the accessories in our Powder Room. . . Those brass accessories. . . kind of out-dated now. But it's really hard to justify adding to a landfill when they were still perfectly usable. So, since I was in the "painting mode" . . . I started thinking. And when I start thinking. . . I get creative (and cheap). So, I painted them all! I purchased a can (not the spray can, a can can - picture above) of Rust-oleum Hammered Metal paint in Brown, purchased from Lowes. Home Depot only has the spray can, not the liquid in the can. Lowes has both. I used those throw-away sponge applicators to apply the paint. It's a funny paint. You must apply the second coat within 30 minutes, or you have to wait until the first coat dries for 4 hours. If you don't reapply in 4 hours, you have to wait 7 days! I'm not kidding, read the can for yourself! It's a chemical reaction that occurs to give this finish the hammered metal look - so that's why the timing is so critical. For me, it was worth watching the clock to time reapplication correctly. . . because I love the look of the finished product.

I painted the soap dispenser, wall soap dish, towel rack, a floor vase, the shelves over the toilet, tissue holder, clock and the guest towel holder. Oh, yes, I even painted the little birdhouse, which hangs off the shelves.

I wish I would have thought to take a before picture of all the accessories, but I didn't. I'm still relatively new to this whole blogging stuff, so I'll try to be more considerate of you all next time and take before pictures prior to starting a project! I did manage to take one of the light fixture (not brass, but needed updating) Maybe that helps. And you all know what bright brass finish looks like anyways. Well, that's exactly what they were.




I think $11 for a can of paint. . . a few hours of my time. . . is not bad for the achieved look. What do you think?

Blessings. . . until next time,

P.S. I probably won't have time to post tomorrow. I'm having a little gathering for our oldest who is turning 20. This has been a big year for us. Our youngest went into her teen years - 13 - and our oldest is leaving the teen years - 20!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they turned out great! Beautiful Powder Room. Love the sign too.

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Maybe I'll paint some stuff with that paint too.

Anonymous said...

Sher, what a clever idea. Recycling what you already have (good for the earth). Looks nice too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, one can of paint did all that?

PAT said...

Great job, Sher! Everything looks beautiful.

Pat

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me, once again, to go out and update some stuff!!

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought?

PattieJ said...

WOW!!! You are so creative!! You have given me so many ideas now!! LOL! Why Didn't I ever thing of this. lol. Everything cmae out beautiful!!! We are in the process of remodeling so I am going to try this with my light fixtures too.

Pattie :)