Come on down to my hub's office. Part 2 of the tour.
Onward we go into the basement. The above picture is our view on the way down to the basement. If you notice the spindles and rails on both sides of stairwell - they were not there when we started. My hubs determined that the wall of the basement stairwell was not load-bearing, so he cut it out to make it more open. I'm so glad he did.


We're now on our way back out. These two doors are closets. One has my husband's filing cabinet in it and the other has his books for now, printer paper and other work related "treasures" he needs to keep.
The next picture is where we stopped yesterday. I picked up this table from a garage sale. All it needed was a new coat of paint over the ugly brass and it works perfectly down here. Notice I even decorated the basement for Thanksgiving. I'm one that believes memories don't just happen, sometimes. . . we just got to make them. Childhood is so short that I have always tried to make the holidays special for our girls. . . so they would have sweet memories. Our 20 year old has assured me that I have accomplished my goal (at least for her)!
Now, let's make a quick left.
We are now at the double French Doors (can you tell I love French Doors?). I thought double French doors would be perfect for this room, since it's my hub's office. This way when he's working, it doesn't feel like he's locked away in a cave. He works from home on Fridays, so this is great for him.
I have his degrees on one wall, his favorite Detroit Red Wings on another and his teen memories on the third. I purchased the bookshelves at an estate sale. They were really, really beat up. . . but not when I got through with them. They work perfectly in here. Now he just needs to load up his books on the shelves. I'm not sure which ones he wants out, so I'm leaving that task up to him.
When I mentioned his teen memories, I mean his Queen collection from the '70's. I framed his T-shirt along with a poster and his ticket stubs. He has another picture of a Queen concert and our beloved Detroit's own, Bob Seger when he appeared at Cobo Hall in the late '70's. Yeah, we were there. . . *sigh*. . . memories. Gotta say, I'm glad my hubs never wore that Queen T-shirt though. I mean what wife wants her husband to be running around wearing a T-shirt that says "Queen?"
We were already to purchase a new desk exactly like this for down here, but I happened to find the perfect "one" on Craigs list http://www.craigslist.org/about/cities.html. It was a divorce situation, selling home, had to sell desk. It was perfect, so I grabbed it. You'll see later why his desk is positioned this way (hint. . . it's what he can see from his desk while working!)



6 comments:
What a fun tour! Your photos were great- felt like we were really there!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa
What a Lovely tour and decs.You did a Great Job!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for sharing. I Love French doors. I don't have any but Love them.
Blessins', Lib
Hey Sher I was at the Bob Seger concert at Cobo too...it was 1976 or 1977!
Too fun!
That was my first concert!
Seger still rocks!
Thanks for the fun flashback!!!!!
Have a super weekend!
Hugz, Dolly
Sher, nice "cave"...lucky guy. We saw Queen in New York about 30 years ago...I was a fan from day one. Your husband has good taste in music. Susan
What a great space to have! I enjoyed the tour and can't wait to see more.
Manuela
Love this tour, your husband must be thrilled (both of you must be!). Neither I nor my husband have our space yet, even in a big house the kids have taken over! You are inspiring me to get back to my master suite plans! We need our space!
Post a Comment