Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some of My "Precious" Treasures

. . . and so the love story continues.

It's the love I have of bird houses!!! I have always adored them!!

See this picture? It's a Purple Martin house that my father made my hubby and I for our 27th wedding anniversary last month. Isn't is BEAUTIFUL? What to know something? This was a pattern that I got out of a book at my elementary school library when I was in just the 4th grade!! My dad has always liked working with wood and at the time they lived in a house on a nice piece of land. My dad had said he wanted to find a plan to make a Purple Martin house. . . so on my next library day in the 4th grade. . . I found a book with a plan. My dad made a bird house just like this one for the back yard of my childhood home.

What a surprise to arrive at our cottage (Mom and Dad live 2.6 miles from our cottage) and find this most beautiful Purple Martin house for us! My dad kept those plans all these years and surprised us! My husband helped my dad lift it up and bolt it down. Dad had already dug the hole and poured the cement in around the base.



Here's a close-up of this beauty. Dad cut it out and constructed it and my mom painted it.


. . . And now, into the next generation after mine. . . our daughter made this birdhouse for me in my Dad's wood shop. It was my birthday present last year. Isn't it adorable? She's 14 and took Wood shop in the 8th grade (yeah, hubby and I thought it was a joke, or because all the boys take Wood shop - well joke was on her because she was the only girl with all younger 7th grade boys - but you know what. . . she LOVED IT!!! She enjoyed that class very much. We actually had to talk her out of taking it again in the 9th grade. We told her to try another elective which would be better applied towards getting into college. She can always make things in gramp's wood shop.)
My dad thinks there must be some genetic defect in our family because my brother loves babies and cooking. Me, I love my own children, but I don't want to watch yours. Cooking? Get it on the table and get it off. I have better things to do. . . like woodworking, refinishing furniture, sewing, decorating, etc.
Yeah, in our family my brother will probably get the china and I'll get the tools : ) ha-ha.
Blessings. . . until next time,

6 comments:

{oc cottage} said...

Haaaaaaaaaa! I love it! Too funny!


M ^..^

Anonymous said...

What a fun story you have to tell about your wonderful bird house! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!~~~XXOO, Beth

kari and kijsa said...

Love these birdhouses!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the lovely Martin house. It looks great! I live in Southern Ontario Canada in Mennonite Country where they have many LARGE Martin Colonies around their farms. I live in town so can't have Martins.(SAD) I suggest you visit the web site for the "Purple Martin Conservation Association" and see alL the helpful info they give to help landlords tske care of their houses. There is lots to learn! Also appreciate the Christian flavour of your site. I know Jesus died for me too! I'm a retired Pastor.
Blessings. Brian Steed Elmira, Ont

Lib said...

Hi Sher,
How sweet and also funny. :o)
Love the birdhouses!
Blessins',Lib

PAT said...

Love this post, Sher!

Pat