Another project off my list :)See these lamps? They were the standard, old, ugly brass lamps that have been around forever. I was looking for matching lamps for our bedroom re-do, but sure didn't like the price of new ones. So, I picked up these at a garage sale for $1 each. They were in a bad state, but I really liked the shape. They didn't have polarized plugs, so that's how I got them for a dollar. I'm not sure how old that would make them. But, I knew I could take care of that little polarized plug tidbit.
What do you think of them now? I painted them first with the same paint I used for the bedroom walls. Then I antiqued them with an antique wash. Just plain, acrylic paints thinned with water. I used a dark brown for depth. I then used a sponge with the paint I used for our bathroom. I also thinned this mixture with water.
The shades were also a garage sale find this spring. I knew my bedroom re-do was in the near future and figured I could use these with lamps. . . yet to be found. I added this wonderful trim to the dollar shades. Wonderful !!!
You can purchase a complete lamp rewiring kit at Home Depot for around $7. I purchased the kit with the three-way lamp. If you don't need a three-way lamp you can get just the on and off lamp kit for around $6. I removed all the wiring and the socket. Just clip, twist and pull it all out. The instruction are very, very easy. Never mind that I just photographed the instructions upside down for you all. Just follow the easy to follow instructions on the back. It's just a big picture folks with which pieces go with which piece. If I can do it, so can you!!
What do you think of the lamps now? The following photos are the lamps I used in this room before. I have re-purposed them in other areas of our home. And. . . I may just have to have my own garage sale in the spring. It's a little too late in the season now in Michigan, but May will come before we know it!What a difference a little paint and trim can make.
Blessings, until next time,



18 comments:
What a lovely makeover for the lamps! I am in love with the entire room as well. Looks like a relaxing place to rest indeed.
Lamps look great! Did you sand the finish off the lamps before applying the paint?
Love your pretty new lamps!! They look great!
Girl im so proud of you. Things are beautiful! the good thing is you made this special area with a budget mind. Anyone can go buy all new things and lay it out,but it takes someone special like you to do this!
Would you come and visit me and work your magic???? I love the lamps and I love your piecrust table!!!
Suzanne
Way too pretty! Wow, I am looking for 3 lamps, one little one for my kitchen, one for my desk (not enough light in here) and one for my laundry room. Again, I am not looking in the right place for bargains.
Wow! Your bedroom looks so high-end and because you told us, we know it was a bargain...your bed, the bedding, the lamps, the accessories...all of it looks like a page from a magazine. GORGEOUS!
Hope the therapy is coming along.
;-) Bo
Hi Sher,
Love the lamps and your bedroom,you did a GREAT job!
Hope you're feeling better!
HAve a great day!
Blessins',Lib
Don't you love when things come together so easy?
The shades look perfect on the "NEW" lamps!
I love the whole room make over Sher!
I think it should be in a magazine!
I love the pie crust table too! What a wonderful find!!!!
Hope you are feeling better!
Hugz, Dolly
Wow, what a great transformation! They look absolutely lovely in the room. I'm loving your bedding, too:)
Cute blog. Thanks for visiting Chic Critique. You can find Kiss Me mascara at Sephora or go to website www.blincinc.com to see other stores or websites where it might be available. It is around $20.00. I will put you on my blogroll because your blog looks like a blog that I would really like. My personal blog is www.thebirdsellnest.blogspot.com. Have a good Tuesday, Leigh Ann
Great job on the lamps! Great looking bedroom...as I came in and saw the Eiffel tower memories of my trip to Paris in Aug..came back!!
Were you there..did you see it lit up in blue at night!!
I posted about my Paris trip back in Aug.
Your blog is filled with inspiration!
You sure did a nice job with the lamps, Sher! Love that bedroom, too!
Hope your week is going well :)
Oooooh- these look fabulous...and you know we absolutely love the b & w bedroom!! Fabulou re-do- fabulous room!!
(yes- think we used fabulous three times-oops four!!!)
blessings,
kari & kijsa
Wow, great lamp project. I have a hard time finding lamps that I like. I might have to build one from scratch. Once again, you room is gorgeous. :-)
Wow, you are good! The lamps, the room, the bench, it all looks great! You must be very industrious, I am in awe!
Hugs from (southwest) Michigan - Diane
Fabulous lamp make over!!!
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Judy
Post a Comment