Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Vintage Treasure Find!!

Remember two weeks ago when I was driving home from Physical Therapy ~ and my car just turned into a garage sale (which just happened to jump out in front of me)? I picked up this great, vintage, french inspired desk for $15!! Because I must have looked like I was hurting and was probably walking funny (back problems) the elderly couple selling it loaded it for me. Yeah, I know, I felt pretty crummy about that. I didn't ask them, they just did it.

Well, here it is:

Isn't it beautiful? It's missing all of it's handles, except one lovely antique glass one. It's nicked up here and there (click to enlarge) and there is a slight crack across the top middle drawer, and a little beat up on the edging. . . so, it'll be perfect for repairing and painting it black!! This will also go into our bedroom as part of the re-do.

It's pretty cold here now in Michigan so I'm planning on sanding my wonderful find in the driveway (dust) and then moving it to the basement for painting. I hope to sand this Friday and then move it into the basement. Yes, my family will complain about the smell of the oil-based paint for a few days, but we will all survive until the smell dissipates :) .

Then I will be on the look-out for wonderful, new, replacement drawer pulls for this beauty!

And dear friends, whomever your presidential candidate of choice is, please remember to pray for our country's upcoming election. Let's cover this election in prayer and ask that God's Will be done, and not necessarily ours.

Blessings. . . until next time,

21 comments:

Bo said...

Morning Sher...I'd sure have jumped on this bargain...$15 and a free load-up thrown in...good deal and it will only get better when you get through with it. Don't you sometimes wonder how in the world some furniture gets so beat up???
;-) Bo

southerninspiration said...

Oooooh, great find! I know it will look fabulous when you are finished with it! Can't wait to see!

Suzanne

Judy said...

You got a great buy on that desk! I have one almost exactly like that I paid $75 for at a flea market a couple of years ago. I painted it black and then sanded it back and rubbed some dark stain on so it looks antiqued. The handles were okay so I just used some Rub N Buff on them and it looks like a great new "old" desk.

Judy

Cherdecor said...

I love the legs on that sweetheart! This is going to be a real beauty!

Can you ventilate your basement? We had an Amish acquaintance who died of lung cancer because of inhaling spray paint. He didn't mean to, like he wasn't trying to get on a high.
I am so sensitive to paint. I always have to open windows and set up a fan. just sayin'........

Looking forward to the finished work!
Hugs,
Cheryl

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Can't wait to see the finished piece! Crystal knobs would look fabulous! I found some on eBay for cheap when I needed some.

ROXY said...

What a great desk! I'msure it will look super chic once it's painted black!! Thanks for sharing:)

Judi said...

LOVE the desk and I think it will look wonderful painted black!
Your note on the election is perfectly eloquent. You are a class act!
Judi

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Sher, That's a great deal! I can't wait to see it finished! I agree...Pray Pray Pray for God's Will!!! Nancy

Anonymous said...

I'd love to run across a bargain like that Sher! It's going to be beautiful painted black.

Christina said...

I'm sure my pumpkin gutter would be glad to come help you. : ) My son has never liked to do it, but he does have some sensory issues, so I'm guessing that's it.

I love your desk. Great deal and it will be beautiful painted black.

Your bedroom is beautiful. Love black and white. So classic and serene.

nikkicrumpet said...

That is destined to turn out beautifully...I love the shape of it. And it will look awesome in that gorgeous bedroom of yours! Can't wait to see it done. I just love re-dos on these lovely old pieces of furniture...so much nicer than throwing them out..and thriftier too!

Cindy said...

Wow, that is a great deal! It's going to be so beautiful!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Thought I would take 5 (from my cleaning today) to tell you thank you for your kind comments over at my place. They mean a lot.

And for your latest posts...WONDERFUL! I cannot believe you got that desk for $15. I know it's wrong to covet, so I'm trying real hard. : ) And your makeover projects of the foot bench and lamps are so great. I am so going to try all your suggestions for antique-ing and re-wiring. I'm so glad you shared all the details so we could do it too. Thanks Sher.
Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Hi Sher! Oh, I can't wait to see what you do with this! It'll look spectacular!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Lib said...

HI SHer,
Oh I Love your Treasure! Can't wait to see it finished !
We voted a few wks. ago. Didn't want to stand in a long line !
Have a great day!
Blessins',Lib

Donna, The Decorated House said...

Hi Sher~
Oh I would love to do a little makeover on that desk! I bet you will make it special. Your bedroom is beautiful. You did a great job with it all.
Donna

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Hi Sher, What a great desk! It will be fabulous painted black! ...and what a bargain! Your bedroom is beautiful! The black and white theme is so crisp and pretty, and you have done it well! The lamps were a great transformations too! :)

Hope you have a Happy and Safe Halloween! ~Rhonda :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that desk---you scored big time on that find!
I think it will look wonderful painted black! I am getting a fireplace mantel and surround fixed so it sits on a base---and it will be painted black, too. I can hardly wait until the guy gets it finished. It will go against a long wall in our entry. I could never figure out how to decorate our entry--two pretty long walls with an antique hall tree at the end. If I put tables in it, then the walking space is narrowed too much. So when I found the fireplace surround and mantel, I thought it would suit the entry just fine---it could serve as a piece of furniture, wouldn't stick out too far and would take up space on the big wall area--a great spot to decorate seasonally, too! I'll share it on a post when I get it back!

I love how nicely your b.room redo has come together!!! Great job.
I hope your back is feeling better and I hope you have a great HW!!!
dana

Susan P. said...

That is going to look amazing when you finish it! It will look perfect in the bedroom:)

Mrs. Cherry Heart said...

Oh wow....
I love it!

You have been doing good finding awesome pieces for cheap!
When you done...can you shop for me?

:-)

Hugz, Dolly

Lisa said...

You find the most incredible pieces for prices I can only drool about here! I can't wait to see this one finished. Something like this would be perfect in my home office. Enjoy your treasures!