Remember these?
A few weeks ago (between hurting my back and getting the flu buggy thing I'm just now getting over) I painted these pendant lights over our kitchen island. It was a nice day so I cracked open the window and started my project. Did I take them down? ~ NOPE ~ I just loosened up the top plate, placed a piece of cardboard between the plate and the ceiling and painted with my "magic" paint. It's oil based so opening a window is always a good idea :)
I'm telling you, this stuff really ROCKS!!
Two coats of paint later and here they are. . . all updated from that ugly brass that was so yesterday!!! No priming needed. Just paint right on. I used those throw away sponge applicators. . . so no mess either. Cheap, cheap, cheap and such a nice change to these lights.
You can scan my projects and decorating link at the bottom left on my page under Labels and see the other items I've painted with this paint. One can of this stuff goes a long way ~ I'm telling ya!! For some reason The Home Depot doesn't carry a large variety of Rust-oleum in the paint can (just spray paint), but you can find it at Lowes. That's where I found mine. . . and now. . . just about everything in my house that was brass. . . is no more :)Blessings. . . until next time,


20 comments:
Looks great!
I've never heard of that product-it does look magic. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Linda
The lights look GREAT Sher!!
I love the Rust-oleum paint...but I use the spray...and I like the hammered stuff, too! With my allergies and asthma...I use a mask...and could never use brush-on stuff in the house!! So, spray, I do!!! And outside!!!
Have a blessed weekend,
Jan
Ouuuu the lights look GREAT!
I have seen that paint but never tried it!
Most of my gold stuff is painted white now!
:-)
Hope you and the girls are feeling better!
Our friend always plans a week off from work every year when he gets his flu shot!
He gets sick every year right after his shot!
Me I don't get the shot, I just take my chances and pray I don't get the flu.
Hugz,
Dolly
Wow....great idea! I have to copy that one! Looks lovely! You are a decorating dynamo! Nothing stops you!!!
Judi
Don't you just love paint!!! I did the same thing in our kitchen! I got these school house light fixtures for $16.00 on clearance at Lowe's. I bought four of them and painted them an oil-ribbed bronze to match our faucet!! Ahhh, the miracles of paint!!
Sher,
I love that paint too. I recently painted a brass gold mirror frame for my sister, it made the mirror look totally different. I just discovered your blog today and I love it, I am adding you to my blog roll.
Thanks,
Deb
What a great idea! Your lights turned out just right. They look like you spent a million bucks on them. Thanks for inspiration. I'll have to see what I can find to paint with some of that paint! ~Adrienne~
Okay, I'm definitely gonna have to remember this idea. Great update for the lighting!
Miss Janice
now you have me thinking about doing that to some of my ceiling lights. They are ugly right now.....
I see the word Brown on top. Is it Brown/Hammered/whatever?
It looks great! I should try that stuff!
Sher, I was checking out your projects and saw that the bench in your foyer and the chairs at your table have the exact same fabric on them as is on my sofa and love seat.
They are so pretty! I am not saying that just because I have it, but I just love the fabric. Your little bench is sweet! I love it!
Hi Sher...I'm ashamed of my lazy self...here you are hurt & sick getting more done than me...LOL
Those lights look GREAT... ;-) Bo
I love that hammered finish paint. I've used it a ton. I even painted my outdoor patio furniture with it. The hammered finish on it makes it so you can't even see the flaws. Your lights look so great...what an amazing change!
Great job...what a difference!
Hugs!
Kat
WOW!!!! That truly looks amazing!!! I LOVE them after you painted them! What a difference! :)
That's a wonderful idea. My husband recently sprayed our fireplace stuff this color. It was brass. It's much more "now" now.
Charlotte
I am the owner of two of the ugliest brass lamps (they hide in the basement familyroom these days) and I know what to do with them now! Do I need to prime the old stuff first or do anything to them---does the new paint scratch off or does it really adhere? Could you let me know? I want to get on this project---wonderful.
Oh and were you CLIMBING to paint those long poles? You watch out--we want to keep you healthy for the holidays! ;-) dana
Oh, yes, that is now an "aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh"......looks fabulous. Ever since I did the cabinet knobs with that same paint, I am looking around my house at all the gold just waiting in line to be painted!! They ALL want to look so chic! ;)
Suzanne
Thanks for the great inspiration...MUST try!!!
M.L.
Post a Comment