Wednesday, November 19, 2008

OK, JUST ONE MORE "LITTLE" PROJECT!!


I just can't seem to stop!! Well, maybe I can squeeze in another little project before the Holidays hit!!


Do you know how one project turns into another and so on and so on? Well, that's what happens to me all the time. While fabric shopping for drapery fabric I wandered down the upholstery aisle at Joann's. While in that aisle, my thoughts turned to the above bench.

This bench was really in bad shape when I found it at a thrift shop several years ago. When I special ordered a pair of chairs for the Great Room, I purposely ordered an extra yard of the fabric I had selected to use on this bench. I painted the beat up wood and recovered this a ways back and added trim too. However, I always wanted to add those nail heads. This bench originally had nail heads, which I removed to reupholster it. Did you ever try to nail those things on? It's very hard to do and to get them on evenly. I never was able to finished that project because I just couldn't get them to look correctly. Well, what to my wandering eyes did appear, but nail heads on a roll just waiting for Sher!!

Yup, all spaced out and ready to be nailed on. About every 5th nail head is actually a fake head, with a hole through it. You use this place to actually nail on a real nail head (which is also provided). The cost was very reasonable too. $14.99 for the roll, and I had a 40% off coupon so I used that too. I have plenty remaining for other projects as well. No one would ever know the difference by using this type of nail head.

It now sits in front of the antique secretary I purchased on Craigslist.com last fall for $50, which I painted black. And. . . I'm. . . liking. . . how it looks. To me, it's all in the Details people, it's all in the Details!!

Blessings. . . until next time,

24 comments:

cherry said...

LOOKS Marvelous! I have seen them use those nail heads on a roll....HMMMM you have me scared now to try the old fashion type...I am doing a skirt to my desk.....may have to get the roll ltype. Thanks for the tip! cherrry

Lib said...

Hi SHer,
Love your beautiful project.
THanks for the info on a roll of nail heads. I have an antique set I need to do but thought I couldn't!
Have agreat wk.
Blessins',Lib

Gone said...

My, what a lovely bench...in all it's Nail Head beauty!!

Hi again...I have an award waiting for you on my blog...please stop by and get it!!

Jan

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Sher, That is a beautiful bench and you did a beautiful job. Blessings, Nancy

Cherdecor said...

You did a beautiful job on the bench. Who would have thought that there was such a thing? I love it!
Blessings,
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Okay Ms. project where are you getting all this energy. You are one of the most talented ladies. Gosh You are gonna make me have to go to work. I just wish I could sew. I have a new machine in a box =(

Anonymous said...

I really like how it turned out. You amaze me how you can make something look so pretty out of something so sad looking. So glad you are into details and are willing to share all your projects with your blogging friends. Keep them coming!
Bless You-

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Your bench is Mar-Ve Lus darling, simply Mar-Ve-Lus!! Boa on top of the ornaments sounds so cute...do you have pics?

Bo said...

Great tip on the nailheads...but oh my, I can't get over what a gorgeous job you did on that $50 secretary! If the previous owners could only see it now... ;-) Bo

Lisa said...

Oh my, I must have that, simply must. I have a bench I have been avoiding like you wouldn't believe for this exact dreaded reason. Now where did I put that coupon?

Love the bench, wonderful job.

Michelle said...

You did a very lovely job, Sher...looks wonderful!

Happy Thursday to you!

PAT said...

Beautiful bench, Sher. I have heard of the nail head rolls. Very clever and timesaving. And it looks fabulous!

Miss Janice said...

That looks stunning and you are a crafty girl:)

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Sher! What a perfect bench for the secretary. It looks fantastic!

Your drapes in your last post look great as well. In our old house we had to put up drapes for 3 tall windows...what a project that was. :-)

Cindy said...

Wow, that looks great!! That secretary looks gorgeous...and only $50!!! I love craigslist! I sure wish I wasn't running out of room at my place because I really love buying furniture!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sher! Oh, this was a good one! You did an excellent job and love the easy way for the nail heads! You rock!!
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

Sher, Thanks for coming by. Your words mean more than you will know. I did forgive my father too,but the sad thing is that generational spirit continues. It was just a great relief for me to see no matter how good and how much I did for them it wouldn't change and I AM NOT the problem.It was like a 100 pounds off me. I can and will never prove im a good girl. Only my heavenly father knows the truth.
Right now my hard thing is my husband doesn't back me..he was raised the same way. The man is right and the woman has her place. He keeps bailing Chancey out. I do without while he dishes out money and cars. It really hurts.I am trying to just be me and pray God take care of him also.
Love you and appreciate you, Brenda

nikkicrumpet said...

The bench looks awesome! I love the trim you used...and the nail heads were definitely the cherry on top! I've used that same nailhead trim on the headboard in our guest bedroom...and I love it because it looks great and is so easy to use!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Sher,
I love coming over here to see all the things you tackle...with such flair and beauty, I might add. I'm so glad you shared this new tip about the nailheads on a roll. I'm sure I'll use them in the future.
And I so cracked up when I read, "We plopped into bed at 3 and were at church by 11:30 the next morning." That is SO ME! In fact, I did that this weekend too. Our church starts at 11 and at 12:15 I'm on duty teaching the 9-10 year olds, which I love. : )

People who love to create live in a whole different hemisphere than most. : )

Anonymous said...

Morning, Sher and thank you so much for the birthday wishes!
I pray you have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Sher! My, girl you have been busy with this stool project (love those nailheads, I've heard the rolls are great to work with!), and your FR drapes, as well as all the things you have finished up in your BR. It all looks wonderful! You must feel good to get all of it done before Christmas,now you get to enjoy! Have a great Thanksgiving with your family!

Justabeachkat said...

You go girl! It really makes a big difference.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs!
Kat

Designs on 47th Street said...

I'm not sure I can read your blog because you put me to incompleted project shame! HOLY COW! You are something else. I love scrolling down, looking at your projects. I'll be checking out JoAnn's for that nailhead roll. that is a great find. Oh, how I want one of those secretaries. I guess I need to start checking out Craigslist, huh? Thanks for visiting my blog. I'll be back for more inspiration.

Unknown said...

That's a great little bench and it looks perfect in front of the desk! The nail heads really add just the right touch! I'm a project junkie like you so....how many more projects do you have up your sleeve?!?!!? Happy Holidays!