Monday, January 12, 2009

VALENTINES DECOR!!!


Um, yeah, this is what we do in the Great North when we're snowed inside the house, it gets dark at 5:00pm, and we're bored!! WE DECORATE!!



I picked up some CHRISTmas lights after CHRISTmas for cheap, cheap, cheap. I think I paid 60 cents at Walmart-75% off. Red for Valentine's Day, Green for St. Patrick's Day and Red/White/Blue for Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day. Hey, why not? I always say memories don't just always happen. . . sometimes you also need to MAKE them happen. Like magic!! My 21 year old has always told me I did a good job making her childhood a special one ~ and I'm keeping it up for our 14 year old as well.

I added red lights to the two topiaries on each end of the mantel and in between as well. I also have a tall glass vase on the side table to the right of the mantle, which I placed in a string of red glowing lights. It looks so warm and cozy in the evening. And no, they do not flash/blink red. They are a constant-on-lit-red ;) As I stated in my opening line of this post. . . it gets dark here at 5:00pm ~ so we have plenty of time to enjoy the soft glow each evening!

A little heart banner I found years ago secured to my Fleur de lis irons. I placed white rose hearts on top of the irons for now. A little garage sale find of a cherub vase holding red and white paper roses sits upon another urn/vase I inverted for additional height.

The sofa table. . . I always use this area to decorate for the individual holidays. A large rose heart wreath, a large red rose underneath the cloche, behind the rose wreath is a picture filled with rose buds, a little vintage looking (a Marshall's find) birdbath with little hearts inside. Rose petals scattered here and there and other misc. heart/Valentine's decorations I've acquired along the way.



I must say, however, my very personal favorite is the little angel/cherub wings displayed prominently upon the wreath holder. Precious, just precious.

Our youngest, the 14 1/2 year old, is just absolutely thrilled with all the decorations. So my mission is accomplished!

It's a nice little "something" after the removal of all the CHRISTmas decorations. Dontchathink???

Blessings. . . until next time,

18 comments:

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

Sher,
Everything is so pretty...love the cherub wings...just darling!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Hi Sher, Your Valentine decor looks so romantic! Great Job!
You ask about the carpet in my garage..Yes, it is carpet..Yes, it is in the garage where I park my car, however it is just taped around the edges...so it is only loose layed...no glues! That way we can change it out when needed...Yeap, it does get dirty where the tires roll. What I like about it is, it really cuts down on the dust and dirt that gets tracked in the house...and it is a breeze to vac and it has an over all neat look. Thanks for asking, and blessings to you! Nancy

Cathy said...

Sher, your decorations are lovely. Making good memories for our kids is what it's all about. You're a great mom!

Cathy

Karen said...

I think I have ONE thing to put up for Valentines day! And I likely won't bother:) I have Easter though. I will bring out some milk glass as winter drags on in hopes of brightening things up!

3-5 tonight and 3-7 on Thurs! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Oh Sher I wish my house was all cleaned and I could think ahead.
Great job girl. I love the table.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

You did great Sher! I bought a LOVE sign at Hobby Lobby last week for 85% off it was from their Christmas stuff and figured I could use it for Valentines. I didn't even think of checking to see if they had red lights...darn. I bet they did but I also bet they are gone by now. Love those wings!!!

Bo said...

Hi Sher...you have made me want to do a little romantic vignette too now...this looks lovely. Those angel wings steal the show...so cute! ;-) Bo

Lib said...

Hi Sher,
Love your ideas and decs.
I too think we should make our home Loving and fill our kids with warm cozy memories:o)
Have a great wk.
Blessins',Lib

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Oh my goodness...I'm so jealous of all the beautiful V.Day decorations you have out already. You did a GREAT job. LOVE the wings!!! And I scrolled down to see the new fixtures in your bathroom. Exquisite!
Thanks for stopping by the other day.

Lisa said...

OK, you need to dig yourself out and come inspire me. My darn tree is still up.........yeah, don't go there....

Justabeachkat said...

It looks great. I used to decorate for each occassion too when my kids were little.

Hugs!
Kat

Sweetie said...

I love to decorate for Valentine's Day also. I will probably work on this over the weekend. Like you, the angel/cherub wings are my very favorite.
Hugs,
Sweetie

PAT said...

I love your decorations! They're beautiful and definitely chase away winter bla's.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words.That means alot coming from you. Your home is always beautiful.

Miss Janice said...

Love your Valentine's vignettes...I like decorating for this romantic day as well. The wings are gorgeous! Love that mantle deco also.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Hey, that's a good ideal about the red lights! Gotta go get some !

Anonymous said...

In my mixing bowl was the meat loaves hehe.I'll go back and double check.

Sandy~Romantique Inspirations~ said...

Yes your so right-HURRY UP SPRING! Your place looks great.