Saturday, March 14, 2009

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. . .ABOUT TEN BUCKS!!

I love Cetaphil Facial Cleaner. I've used it for a long, long time. I just don't love the price. It's around $12 now. With myself and two daughters using this product it could get costly. I switched a few years ago to the Walmart/Equate brand equivalent. But the price of the Walmart brand just kept getting higher and higher too. The Equate brand originally was around $3.97, then $4.97, $5.97, etc.

One day, while I was walking the aisles of Family Dollar I came across their brand equivalent of Cetaphil. Just like Walmart/Equate it stated "Compare to Cetaphil Facial Cleanser." $2 the price was, $2 for the exact same size container! I was still unsure, so I just purchased one to try. I come home and compared it with Cetaphil and guess what? The ingredients are the exact same! Yup, word for word! I used it for a week and went back and bought the store out (hey, with three women using it 2 times daily, one does need to stock up and at this price, I can afford to!)


I can now take the extra cash saved and stock it away (um, not really in the stock market, under the mattress is probably safer these days!)


What is your frugal beauty find? Anything to share with Sher?


8 comments:

Cathy said...

Love a great deal! I will have to buy this for my daughter.

Cathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks,I never go in there,but sure will.
My husband and I went to Wal-Mart to get our beauty products.He would never use any off brand. He uses a cream for very dry skin and they wanted over $8 for it.then the the tooth paste was right at $3 dollars. I said put this stuff out of the buggy I will not pay this.He thought I was nuts.I went the next day to Dollar Tree where I bought the lotion and the Aim tooth paste. you never know exactly what they will have,but i have learned to in on a regular basis and stock up.

Lib said...

Hi SHer,
I use alot of baby oil .
Hope you're having a great wk.end!
Blessins',Lib

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Thanks for the hint! I need to go buy new facial cleanser for me & my girls too...so just in time!

Judi said...

Sher
YOu did great! It was worth going in there and giving it a try...interesting that the ingredients are the same too...wow!
Yes put that money away invested for a fun time doing something with your girls..and family. At that rate it will add up quickly.
Thank you for sharing...I can't think of a story like that right now.
have a lovely evening
Judi

Cherdecor said...

Hi Sher, I haven't been around for a little while so am catching up on your projects tonight. Now, I found that you are at your cottage this weekend. Can't wait to see some great pictures!

Blessings,
Cheryl

Lisa said...

Love a great bargain don't you? Kind of like the store brand items on most things, if you compare the label the contents are identical-less frilly package. Ironically most are even made by the same name brand company.

Beauty bargains huh? I do love gold bond lotion, drug store brand hydrocortisone cream, and olive oil for cuticle cream. With less than perfect skin I have learned the hard way to just stick to what I know works for me, which unfortunately isn't always the cheapest ones but in the long run saves me from a million half used containers I used to have.

Judi said...

YEP...the same ingredients! I've already done that with tons of products!!! My son and husband have always been "brand" conscious. Makes me nuts! Well....I spent months trying to convert them. When I couldn't, I just tricked them. I bought the cheaper bottles of things and filled up their containers! No one was the wiser. Until I told my son a few months ago...in the hopes of saving him some $$ on shopping (he is a poor PhD student). Guess what he does now? He buys the cheaper brands but fills up his "brand" containers! I guess he's label conscious! He tricks himself! LOL!
Dollar General is my stop for baby oil, medicated powder, face wash, bar soap, Wrinkle Releaser....oh lots of stuff! And, I'm a devotee of Aldi's shampoos and conditioners and body washes. (also Aldi's has great cheeses!)
As for my fav frugal beauty find....I swear by Maybelline mascara (in the pink & lime green tube). Been using it since high school!
Yep, there are painless ways to be frugal! I'm always looking for them!
Judi