Wednesday, April 15, 2009

CALLING ALL YOU TEXANS!!

TEXAS?? ~ WHAT TO DO?

We live in Michigan. The economy stinks!! Our oldest has been trying to get into a nursing program here in our state and it. . . is . . .absolutely. . . impossible!! Then add to that ~ each college requires different pre-reqs. She has her associates degree (with excellent grades) and now wants her bachelor of nursing degree. We have so many unemployed in our state (from the car industry and related manufacturing) and the only area hiring is the medical field ~ so everyone wants to get into a nursing program!! So that's why I'm asking your advice. . . .

My hubby will be heading up a project soon in Austin, TX. The project will last around 2 years. He flies out on Monday am, and returns on Thursday nights. He normally just stays in a nice hotel while these projects are running. . . but we're thinking perhaps this time he should just get a corporate apartment. Our oldest can live with him, if she can get into a nursing program at a college near Austin. The amount of colleges with nursing programs is so much better than the amount we have in our state. The colleges near us have approximately 1,500 applicants for the nursing program and only 100 are accepted! Our oldest was shocked to do some on-line checking and find that some colleges near Austin, TX have over 700 enrolled in their nursing program!!! OVER 700!!

What do you from Texas, especially the Austin area, think are the best colleges for nursing degrees? I would appreciate any and all advice or information you could supply to us. Our oldest thinks this could be a great option and an opportunity. Several years ago when hubs put in a system in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area we went with him and spent the entire summer in Texas. While hubs worked, the girls and I saw all the sights. We fell in love with the state. Our oldest especially loved Texas. She probably would not return to Michigan after acquiring her degree.
What do you all think? Could this work?
Anxiously waiting to hear from you. . .
Blessings. . . until next time,

7 comments:

southerninspiration said...

Well, I really don't know the answer to the nursing school question, except that I am sure there are several excellent schools near the area. I'm from the Houston area, but I think it's a fab. idea. While it can be HOT in TX, there are many, many good things about choosing that path. I think they should go for it. Austin is a great place to live/work!
Suzanne

Judi said...

Alright, so I am not from Texas. However, I have worked in higher ed for the past 29 years--specifically in career development, counseling and professional development. The first thing I would advise your daughter to do is to go to the career office (they call it many different things--depending on the school) where she got her Associates degree and ask the question--which schools in and around Austin TX do they recommend for nursing? If they can't readily give that answer--they should be able to point her in the direction of resources that can help her in answering it. If, for some reason, they cannot help her at all--I suggest she get to a local library and use a resource called "Peterson's Guides"...these give very detailed information about schools (by geographical location, by program, etc) and can help her to see what type of programs and how they rate. And, if all else fails, I would suggest she chose schools within close proximity to where she might be living and start researching them. For instance, if she finds that she doesn't feel like a large program would suit her, she can just take it off her radar. It really is about feeling good about the school and the program as much as it is about the prestige. (I say this from lots of personal and professional experience in this regard!) So, pick maybe 5 to start with. With the wealth of information out there, I'm sure it feels overwhelming!
But, this idea does sound like a win-win for everyone!
Judi
P.S. My husband travels extensively (usually Sun-Thurs each week)....he stays in corporate housing. However, I'm sure he would prefer a place of his own if that could be possible. But, since he travels to 4 different locations a month, that would not work out.
P.S.S.--Just thought I'd mention that being a wife of a travelin' man myself, I know how their careers impact family life! So, I'm thinking this situation where he and your daughter would live together might be a wonderful opportunity for both of them in more ways than education and career!!!!
Good Luck to all!!!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I hope you find a good nursing school! My 20 yr old daughter is in nursing school here in Arkansas. She graduates in June. I can tell you from her experience that smaller nursing schools/programs are better. The instructors give more individualized instruction and the passing rate is way higher. She also had attended a private nursing school that accepted 300 students and only graduate about 50 per yr.

Karen said...

Hmm, has she tried Madonna? I know they have a huge nursing program. Oakland? They whine about not enough nurses and then do this. I think there are not enough teachers. Sounds like the texas thing might work!

Connie said...

I think she should definitely check into the Austin area for nursing school. Sounds like you may need to rent your home in Michigan and move to Texas temporarily for a few years. Look at it as an adventure of a life time. Connie

Lisa said...

I hear the frustration with this nursing deal. Problem is definitely not enough instructors to get larger volume classes. Same trouble just about everywhere these days. Have her contact each college counselling dept and speak to them directly about the programs, reqs etc. Be careful too as each state/college does have different requirements and some don't transfer either. Tell her not to give up though, we need all the help we can get!

bee'nme said...

Hi Sher!

I just found this post about Texas quite by "accident", and I thought I would give you my two cents, if it's not too late...

I'm a native Texan, now living in the Houston area, but I lived for 12 years in Austin ('86 - '98), and it is a WONDERFUL place! I attended the University of Texas there and it is one of the finest Universities in the US. I wish I could speak personally about the nursing program there, but I don't have any personal knowledge of it, but I know that UT, though very large, excels at most all their areas of study. I've included a few links from a Google search I did to see if that helps any...

http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/

http://education-portal.com/search/quicksearch.html

http://degreedirectory.org/articles/Which_Nursing_Schools_are_in_the_Austin_TX_Area.html

There is also a good university (Texas State U) in San Marcos, TX, a small town south of Austin that has a nursing school: http://www.health.txstate.edu/nursing/

Once again I don't have any personal knowledge of the nursing program...but just wanted you to be aware that there was another major university close by...

I hope all this helps and I'm not getting it to you too late...you may already have this all figured out..

I would be happy to chit chat more about Austin in general (areas of town, etc) if you need any more first hand info...

Love your blog Sher...I'll surely be back!

Best to your family during this transition time!

Hugs & Blessings,
Becky S. at Just Bee 'n Me